26.3.11

To bake or not to bake ...

I'm getting out of the city this weekend. It's my mama's birthday so the whole family is gathering for food and fun ... and cake ... which I said I'd bake.

Earlier in the week when I was still full of energy, I thought baking a birthday cake would earn me extra 'loving daughter' points. I planned on getting up this morning, throwing myself into the kitchen and emerging a few hours later with a delicious chocolate and almond cake with ganache icing. Sounds delicious doesn't it? This morning, tired from a long week and slightly squiffy from yesterday's springtime wine, I'm not so sure it's a great idea.

Wouldn't a picture perfect (and delicious) red velvet cake from The Hummingbird Bakery be more special? You can't get them in the country afterall and it would mean an extra hour in bed ...

Humble homemade chocolate versus ...

... fancy and fashionable London type?

I've also never been able to make a red velvet cake or cupcake with any degree of real succes. Oh the dilemma!

At least it's led me to finding a cute new purchase for the kitchen - these retro Typhoon kitchen scales.



Like with the cakes, I'm struggling to choose between them!
 
Heal's stock a whole range of colours, but the cheapest price I found online was from Red Candy. How have I not stumbled across this treasure trove of red home accessories before? My kitchen is red, as is my lounge, so I can see this site becoming a favourite.

Right! Time to get baking (maybe).
 

No comments:

Post a Comment